Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Chanel No.5

What do you think about when you heard "Chanel no.5 ?" I'm not going to sugarcoat it but when I heard the name for the first time,the first thing that popped out from my mouth was "what is that ?" I am soooo lame haha.Little did I know that it was one of the most successful and popular fragrance in the world ! after I heard it's name I get curious and curiouser (as Alice from Alice in Wonderland would say)  and so I did a little,no,HUGE research on Chanel no.5.Even my sister calls me obsessed..and to be honest I really don't know why.I've never liked the smell of man's fragrance.I think it's too strong for me,but I've never smelled the perfume too so I decided to buy a bottle :

Elegance was the first word,I love the classic laboratory vial shape of the bottle,kinda reminds me of ice block.I don't know but I think the perfect sentence to describe the perfume was : "It's so Chanel".
So I will tell you a little history behind this famous perfume.as we all know,the perfume was made by a russian-french perfumer,Ernest Beaux in 1920s.Mademoiselle Chanel said that she wanted a woman's perfume with a woman's scent.They said that Ernest went all around the world to seek beautiful notes for Chanel's fragrance,he uses over 80 scents to make all five samples to give to Mademoiselle Chanel,some said that he also inspired by the smell of arctic water under the midnight sun.And so,Monsieur Beaux present 5 samples to Mademoiselle Chanel,Chanel smell it all and she said that she like the fifth sample,that's why it's called Chanel no.5.Some also said that Chanel chooses no.5 because it's her lucky number.


The bottle was designed by Mademoiselle Chanel herself,that's why it is so simple because as we all know,Chanel's principle was less is more.The stopper itself was inspired by Paris's Place Vendome.Chanel no.5 got famous for Beaux's innovative use of aldehydes.they describe it as a "synthetic lemon-like smell which accentuates the taste of strawberry." They said that because of Chanel no.5,many of our modern perfume uses aldehydes as one of their ingredients.No.5 easily reached the top selling perfume chart,until now.They also made some modern version of Chanel no.5 like Eau de Premier,Eau de Toilette,soaps,bath oils,and so many others.Here are the notes for Chanel no.5 :

Top notes : Adelhydes,Ylang Ylang,Neroli,Bergamot,Lemon
Heart notes : Lilly of the valley,Orris Roots,Iris,Rose,Jasmine
Bottom notes : Amber,Vanilla,Sandalwood,Oakmoss,Patchoulli,Vetiver,Musk

No.5 is so successful that they can have so many great celebrities for their campaign.Brad Pitt was on the last campaign and it said that no.5 was the first female fragrance to use a male actor as their campaign model.They also have a long list of woman who is featured on their campaign such as Catherine Deneuver,Audrey Tatou,Nicole Kidman,Candice Bergen,Suzy Parker,Ali McGraw,and the list goes on and on and on

This might sounds so cliche but whenever I smell this perfume I smell sophistication.Some describe it as a smell of an old lady but I think it's because this is a retro fragrance.For me,as a 15 year old teenager I don't think that this fragrance is suitable for daily wear (even though I use it everyday.) I think this one is perfect for when you go to some evening party,or maybe a date with your boy/girlfriend.Just save your bottle of no.5 for those special occasion.


Oh ! and even though this is a woman fragrance,Jacques Polgues has retouch it in an Eau de Parfum form so it is more modern and not so floral-ish but still has that No.5 identity.So I think that this perfume is also suitable for men.

If you ask me about the price,I don't think that it's soooo expensive that it is overprice.I think for something as iconic as this,it's worth it.I've spent my holiday savings (since I'm not going anywhere either) to buy this,and as I said,it's worth it.But if you're not so sure if you're going to like it or not,try ordering samples from Ebay,but make sure you get the authentic one.Never bought a refill,it's so different and for me the smell is not pleasing my nose.

Here are some ways to identify an authentic bottle of No.5
1.The stopper (cap) is twist-able to every direction,but when you hold it upside down,it won't fall.
2.The label is embossed
3.The label is printed on both sides so you can still read "Chanel" from the back of the bottle.
4.There is a four-digits batch code laser-printed on the bottom-back of the bottle that matches with the one on either on the bottom or the bottom-back side of the box.

If your bottle does have all of those,I am 100% sure that it is authentic.Don't worry about the longevity,Chanel no.5 lasts differently on people.It doesn't stick that long to me,but some people said that they can smell the perfume for the whole day.I guess if they have a short longevity on you,you're just one of those unlucky person who can't wear Chanel no.5


Just Kidding

So back to the business ! I hope that this review helped you a lot,I wanted to do a video review but I got no time since I have to prepare stuff before I go back to school.
To end this post,here are a video about Chanel No.5's achievement and a special relationship between No.5 and Marilyn Monroe 

lovelovelove

No comments:

Post a Comment